Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Back in the saddle again

Alright. I've got my Pandora on and a comfy sweatshirt and an iced coffee. It's time to start blogging again and reawaken the right side of my brain which has been put on the back burner for a looooong while now.

I'm going to bar trivia tonight, which is always a very interesting experience for me. The shear amount of information I have NO CLUE about is pretty depressing. Don't even get me started on history and sports. I had to confirm the picture identity of Kennedy the other day with a classmate...apparently he had Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism) and I just wasn't positive if it was him or not. Doesn't matter that he may have one of the most recognizable faces in American history. I'm clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff. Truth is, vet school has turned me into a big science nerd that has lost a lot of the well-roundedness that I used to possess. I really really like science and medicine, don't get me wrong. But I've been progressively feeling a bigger and bigger disconnect with the non-science public. It's strange to have to try and think of a way to put something so that everyone will understand what you're talking about. For instance...when I'm talking about the orientation of things, in my head it always comes out in medspeak. That guy's tattoo is lateral to his sternum. It's no longer "to the right." The plantar side of my foot really hurts. It's not the bottom. It's like speaking a foreign language that isn't romantic or easy on the ears, and makes you sound pretentious. When I came back from summer break and saw my vetfriends again, it was definitely a relief to unfasten the belt that held in all my geeky knowledge and let it all nerd out.

On the flipside, I've recently made some new friends that aren't related to vet med at all, and it is quite refreshing to hear people talk about things that don't have to do with the prison that is G-150 (our giant classroom). For a while, I can almost forget that vet med is all I breath and drink, besides my running obsession.

Anyway...

The good thing about bar trivia is the people watching. People get so ridiculously competitive at bar trivia that its almost comical. They glance around with narrowed eyes looking for cellphones and any kind of sneaky cheating. They contest answers. And you can always tell the seriousness of the teams by their names. People who rarely ever do bar trivia have names like "Winning Like Charlie Sheen" or "I Wish This Mic Was a Dick" etc. People who always do bar trivia (and usually come in the top 3) have much less profane and way more "cool" names. There's undoubtedly gonna be some guy with glasses who looks like your typical hipster and some girl who is kind of loud and has an annoying laugh. I almost always wish I could be on their team, and I'm always a little bit jealous. Way too competitive for my own good.

Do you ever look around Facebook or social networking sites and just see people you wish you could walk up to and say, "lets be friends?" It's happening more and more lately. I just want to meet more like minded, interesting people who really love to talk. Silence is golden, sometimes. But usually it's boring.

That's all I can think of for now. Probably gonna go switch out my laundry. Just an FYI, if you ever stick a Canadian quarter into a laundry machine coin loader thing, even if you have all regular quarters next to it, the thing won't close. It somehow knows that you're trying to trick it with a non-American quarter.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to unfastening the nerd belt and letting all that geeky knowledge hang out. I'm very curious to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete