Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Weather manners

One of the main reasons that I'm not sure if I could ever move to a place without winter is due to the fact that once it's gone, everyone is in the BEST. MOOD. EVER.

Recently, I decided to be adventurous and zap a few extra calories on my way to volunteering at the lab by breaking out my dusty old mountain bike. You can't miss it. It's the blue one with the ALPACAS sticker on the bar. I don't have a helmet, or reflectors, or any other fancy biking gears, but I've got legs, damnit, and I'm gonna use 'em!!

So today on my 5 mile journey to the necropsy lab, I passed many a walking couple strolling in the sunshine. I know that proper biking etiquette dictates that I should be on the street and not the sidewalk, but until I invest in a helmet, I wanted to play it safe. Feeling silly, I'd call out "on your left!" as I got closer to the walking couples, hoping that they'd move.

First of all, it amazes me that most of the walkers couldn't hear me coming until I was within about 5 feet of them. I even tried experimentally coughing or clearing my throat to see if that would help, but...no dice. If we were in Africa, and they were an antelope, and I was a lion...I'd be nursing a big 'ol food baby in no time. I even had to keep upping the distance from which I yelled "on your left!" to make sure that no one had a heart attack. In most cases, once they heard me or realized that I was nearly on top of them, most people jump a mile and hurriedly try to move over. So when I had the option, I'd just give them a wide berth and skirt around on the grass, using the "full potential" of my mountain bike.

However, this is easier said than done. I'm sure I'm guilty of this myself, but...it also amazes me how few humans can walk in a straight line. From 50 feet away, I'll see a perfectly sober individual walking the center of the sidewalk, casually drifting from left to right as they saunter along. It makes it nearly impossible to decide which side to pass them on. And don't even get me started on those individuals who break all the laws of walking and driving and walk on the left all the time. They're probably the same ones who throw off all traffic and go up the wrong side of the stairs and make me do the awkward dance around them. While in America...STAY TO THE RIGHT!! I wonder...do people in Britain follow car traffic patterns while walking as well?

Ugh. I digress.

What surprised me the most was the fact that everyone was so POLITE.

After calling out, many of the walkers would acknowledge me with a wave or a big smile. When I thanked them, they'd call to my passing form, "you're welcome!" in chipper voices and continue along. THIS is what happens when people are deprived of sunlight for too long. In the lovely land of Michigan and everywhere else that isn't graced by 70 degree weather and sunlight for much of the year, even one day of it can put them in a fantastic mood. Manners have returned. People are being charitable and beautiful again. All because of a little sun and vitamin D.

If I lived in California, I'd be afraid that I'd start taking the good weather and sunlight for granted. That's the one good thing about seasons- they keep you guessing. If mother nature dumps 5 feet of snow on your driveway, at least you know in 1 month that she'll be gracing you with a light breeze and 60 degree days. And then give her another month and you'll be sweltering inside with the AC blasting.

Before Michigan, I lived in New England and experienced the same phenomenon. Now I'm hooked. It'll be seasons for me, forever, especially if it means that everyone spontaneously slips into manners-mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment